Sunday, October 9, 2011

One-on-One with the General

Way back in our Investigative Journalism class, our professor gave us a challenge on what topic  we shall tackle that catches attention to the public.

We were grouped into three. I, together with only six members brainstormed on that rainy and cold day in Baguio.

When the bell rang, we decided to investigate mafia and other drug cases in the province of Tarlac.
I knew this will be very confidential and sensitive case to handle.

We were given different tasks and responsibilities. One of my group mates has friends in Underworld. He has connections, so it would be easy for us to interview and gather information regarding our topic.

First day on our assignment was an introduction of ourselves. Our intention why we want to know the details behind illegal transactions.

I was so nervous and my hands are trembling that time. When we entered the dark room for interrogation, I knew there's no turning back.

My heart palpitated rapidly as I tapped my tape recorder and jotted down notes. While Mr. D, my group mate, asked about Underworld whereabouts.

Aside from mafia, we collaborated with the Police officers about prohibited drugs in the Philippines.
One more thing, we visited precincts and interviewed inmates who have cases in drug trafficking, drug addictions and the like.
The inmates obliged  and cooperated  with us. They humbly respond in every question. 

Nowadays, drug trafficking, drug dependents, and pushers are increasing. Victims were scattered everywhere unnoticed.

As Mr. D. told me seven years back, as long as those members are still active and their Generals have connections with the higher officials in the society;  producing dangerous drugs are difficult to eradicate.

1 comment: