Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Shocking Revelation


You will know the value of a person if he’s  gone. Finding a true friend is hard to  find. Yes, we have lot of friends to be considered, but if we’re down, only few were there to give a helping hand.

I’m remembering the past when I and late Ana shared happy moments, embarrassing situations and problems.

We have a deep relationship more than as friends. She was a second mother to me when I am still studying in Baguio.


I was their bed spacer in a boarding house for than two years. 
When we were introduced with each other, I didn't feel any animosity. I started liking her and divulged all my whereabouts in and out the university.
During Sundays, we attended mass, strolled at the mall, dropped by at the supermarket, and  counted the stairs going up to Lourdes Grotto.  Two years  attending nine mornings before Christmas. I missed all of these events in my life with Ate Ana.


It was 2004, Ate Ana felt there something bothering her. She told me the uneasiness and pain she felt every morning she wakes  up.

She held my hand and put it on her upper chest. Her heartbeat is normal, but when I tried to touch the upper portion of her breast, there was a lump on it.

I asked, “Ate, masakit po ba?”  (Ate, does it hurt?)
She answered, “Mommy, pag hinahawakan ko di masakit. Pero pag madaling araw kumikirot” (When I touch the lump, it doesn’t hurt. Only early dawn, it aches)

I missed her, calling me “Mommy”.  It’s her endearment to me.

Months passed by, we both noticed that the lump was bigger than the usual size. I advised her to tell the truth and seek help to her  “ Amo”, who used to be a medical practitioner.

Weeks later, Ate Ana was diagnosed and the cyst was malignant. She was then confined in Baguio General Hospital for the operation to prevent the multiplication of cancer cells.

I  with Ate Joyce,  a medical practitioner too and my roommate, visited Ate Ana in the hospital.
Despite the pain, she still managed to smile and greet us, as we arrived.
We were so glad, the operation was successful. On the contrary, she lost her one breast.

When Ate Ana finally got home, her “Amo” decided to give her a leave and rest to heal the wounds.
As far as I remembered,  almost four months to go before I graduate when she went home to Pangasinan.
I was eager to invite  and tell her to get well soon, so that she will be around during my final stage in college.
I want to savor my remaining days in Baguio with Ate Ana before I go home and do my jubhunting in Manila.


Though I was happy with my parents, brothers and friends in my graduation day, It was incomplete without the presence of Ate Ana.

It was on May 2005, when I left Baguio without a final looked to my beloved Ate Ana.
Months and years passed by without  any text from  Ate  Joyce to inform me regarding the condition of Ate Ana. That was the time when I got my first job.

In 2006, I was hired for my second job position. I was riding in a bus late at night going home. Due to boredom, I sent message to Ate Joyce how was she and Ate Ana. Ate Joyce was then a Doctor in Ilocos Sur practicing her profession. 

Can you guess where and how’s Ate Ana?

The last operation was successful. But after year, the cancer cells began to grow. Complication weaken   Ate Ana’s health. There’s no way for her to survive.

I was totally speechless and shocked on Ate Joyce’s  revelation. I could hardly spoke to her.  I was silently weeping in the bus, reminiscing the moments with Ate Ana and Ate Joyce.

Even Ate Joyce was shocked. She as well missed Ate Ana.
I wrote this article a tribute to all breast cancer victims who failed in their battle against life-threatening illness. As my final respect to Ate Ana, this is for you in this All Soul’s Day.

I keep you in my heart. December is fast approaching, hope you gonna visit me again in my dreams.
I knew you were in good hand with the Almighty God. 



I love you Ate Ana.

1 comment:

  1. This is sad. She is in a better place than us. No more hurtache and suffering. Nice article!

    ReplyDelete